Sunday, January 10, 2010

White Christmas

When we finally awoke from our long winter's nap, Chris and I looked out the window and realized, holy crap, we aren't leaving the house for a LONG time! Sometime during the wee hours of Christmas Eve, the wind picked up and left behind a winter wonderland. There was a drift at the back of my mom's house that was at least 10 feet tall. This isn't the first time I have experienced snow like this, but it's been such a long time since my last memories of a blizzard in which I lost my snow boot in a drift and it wasn't recovered until late spring when all of the snow finally melted. Luckily this time we kept the kids in for a few days or else we probably would have lost one of them in the drifts! Alright, I digress.

Christmas day: We all woke up fairly early and ran to see what Santa had left in our stockings. Oh wait, that's right, no stockings this year. Conner and Lizzie were excited to open their gifts though I must confess that I forgot to even explain the whole Santa myth to them this year. And I neglected to take them on the obligatory trip to sit on Santa's lap at the mall. Maybe its just me, but all those Santas at the mall are such poor impersonations of the Santa in my head and they all smell like beef and cheese. And, I really hate standing in long lines. So the kids opened presents, played with more than the boxes that the items came in, and we all kept a close eye on when the snowplow might come through and give us the opportunity to leave the house. It was a white Christmas, it was a cold Christmas, but most of all, it was a Christmas spent with those that I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment