Monday, January 18, 2010

Adventures in photography-the beginning

It's finally here, I can finally share with y'all! A few weeks ago I ordered a new fancy camera and I have been anxiously awaiting its arrival. Well, it arrived early this week and I have been taking pictures like crazy. It is definitely something new to get used to and I am going to be taking a class starting in February but I wanted to share some of my beginner photos with you. Hopefully I'll show some improvement as time goes along and we can all look back at these photos and see how far I've come. For the sake of brevity I am going to post some pictures of the kids but if you are interested in seeing > 100 pictures of the dogs, just let me know. Daisie and Sydney served as my first subjects seeing as my original subjects (ahem, Conner and Elizabeth) didn't want to sit still for any photos.

So I'll begin a new series of blogs under the heading of Adventures in Photography. These pictures were taken at Old Salem (www.oldsalem.org) this past Saturday. My camera is the Canon Rebel T1i and I shot these pictures with a Canon EF-S 55-250mm 1.4-5.6 IS lens (yep, have no clue what any of that stuff means either). This lens took some getting used to and I realized when I got home that quite a few of my pictures weren't as crisp as I would like, especially the ones where I was at maximum zoom. But, it was a start and it was actually a lot of fun. The kids had full run of a city block that only had fences on the sides to hold them in.
And some of you may recognize this location as the backdrop for our 2008 Christmas card.
*Of note, just realized that my lens was on manual focus instead of auto focus that day, partially explaining the less than crisp shots. Shoot! Lesson #1, check your lens settings before you start taking pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment