Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Blackberry sorbet

Its summertime and the livin' is easy. At least it felt that way this past week. Yep, I survived a week at home with three kids and even found time to whip up something delicious to share with y'all. I made this sorbet last summer for my trifecta of red, white, and blue ice creams for our Fourth of July party. And though technically its more purple than blue don't let that minor detail deter you from making this yourself. It is so crazy good, way healthier than ice cream, and really easy to make (as long as you have an ice cream maker- which really you should). I adapted a recipe from David Lebowitz's book The Perfect Scoop. Only adapted because I actually don't own the book but did take some photos of recipes from the book when I borrowed it from a friend. The recipe photo I had was for blackberry lime sorbet, which I had made before but found that the lime was a bit overpowering and I prefer just the blackberry sorbet. I know, such nitpicking! Anyways, here is the recipe:
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
4 cups blackberries
juice from one lime (blackberry lime recipe calls for 3/4 cup lime juice)

Heat sugar and water together until sugar dissolves. Let sugar water cool. In a food processor combine blackberries and sugar water (aka- simple syrup). Process until berries are all mushed up. Strain berry mixture through a sieve to leave behind delicious blackberry syrup without any of those seeds that will remain in your teeth and drive you crazy.
Squeeze juice from one lime into the blackberry syrup. Put syrup into the frozen bowl of your ice cream maker and spin until desired consistency (mine took about 25-30 min).
Then hurry upstairs because your little man has heard cooking going on in the kitchen and now is screaming for you to come and feed him something yummy too!
I like to freeze my sorbet a bit further after it comes out of the ice cream machine because I think it is too soft when it first comes out. I served mine with a few lemon cookies, which nicely complimented the blackberry flavor. Yummy, yummy- especially refreshing after a 18 mile bike ride!



No comments:

Post a Comment