Tuesday, November 3, 2009

It's the little things

This past weekend Conner, Elizabeth and I got to spend some quality time with Auntie Megan while Daddy was at a conference in San Diego. At first I thought that I would be totally bitter that my husband was in San Diego while I was back home with the kids but funny thing, I wasn't one bit jealous. Probably because we had such a great weekend! We decided to take the kids and head up to Asheville for the weekend. Between my sister (who is a vegan) and myself (practicing vegetarian), Asheville was food heaven for us! There are so many restaurants that provide non-meat, non-dairy options that at times I was wishing to become a cow so that I would have some extra stomachs to load up with all the available goodness. Plus the kids would really have gotten a kick out of their mom turning into a cow, one of their favorite animals these days!

Amazing food aside, the weekend was wonderful because of the little things. Seeing Conner and Elizabeth running around, exploring the nature around them was incredible. They are at such a great age where they can identify the things they have read about in books by pointing them out by name when they see them in the environment around them. Sitting in front of the fireplace each night without any way to communicate with the outside world was more refreshing than I ever would have thought. And of course, getting to share the weekend with my kids and my sister was the best part of all. Whether it was stuffing as many apples as we could into Megan's coat pockets and hood, watching the kids dance to music being played by a creepy old guy, or reading Goodnight Moon for the 145th time, a great weekend was had- but we did miss Daddy!
Enjoying apples picked fresh from the treeLizzie running down the hill Conner making leaf angels with Auntie Meg

1 comment:

  1. So well put - it's wonderful to be able to enjoy the simple things, and savor each and every precious moment. I really learned a lot from Lizzie and Conner - to get excited about seeing cows in the field, to say "baah" with reckless abandon, and to walk more slowly and just enjoy life!

    ReplyDelete