Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A birthday party to remember

This past Saturday we had a birthday party to celebrate Conner and Elizabeth's second birthday (and seriously, every birthday is a cause to celebrate another year that we have survived being parents to twins!). I wish I could have made a more clever title for this post but the clever titles running through my head refer to my current distrust of hippies, and I really shouldn't generalize based on my experience with one particular hippie this weekend. Alright, hear it goes. I spent a good deal of time trying to come up with an out-of-the-ordinary idea for the twin's birthday party. But, there isn't much you can do with two year old's in the middle of winter. So I was pretty proud of myself when I thought of having a lady (also at times refered to as a hippie by myself) come do a yoga session with the kids at the party. I mean, come on, who can resist seeing all those diapered butts in the air as the kids work on their down dog? So I contacted a lady who runs a yoga business for kids (I'm not quite ready to spill the name of the business yet over the internet but if you google "yoga kids winston salem" it is the third entry that appears) and formulated a great plan to have a yoga birthday party. The lady was going to read a book to the kids about bunnies, bring live bunnies for the kids to see, and then teach a yoga session incorporating moves that simulate movements bunnies make. Yep, that what was supposed to happen....

Fast forward to Friday evening/Saturday morning- the weather man had been forecasting a light dusting of snow to occur in our area on Friday night into Saturday morning. It started snowing on Friday night and when we woke up on Saturday morning there was probably 1-2 inches of snow on the ground, yet the roads were clear. Pretty minor compared to the snow showers we have gotten previously this winter. So we carried on with the birthday party as planned. The party was scheduled to begin at 11 and by 11:15 we had a room full of 15 toddlers but a surprisingly absent yoga teacher. Stressing out and having no clue what we were going to do with all these energetic children, I froze. Luckily my wonderful sister Megan stepped up and led the kids in yoga moves, several rounds of head, shoulders, knees, and toes, and the hokie pokie. I cannot even express how grateful I was to have her there and I think she must have been a child entertainer in her previous life.

By noon it was pretty apparent that the yoga lady wasn't going to show up but the party carried on. Long story (and I do apologize for the length of this story) short, the yoga lady didn't show up due to the road conditions (stated by her). Funny thing is that every other guest invited made it to the party despite these hazardous road conditions (large dose of sarcasm there). Anywho, the party ended up being fun and it was a great chance for me to practice taking pictures of children other than my own. So while the party didn't turn out as I had planned, it was still great that Conner and Elizabeth were surrounded by their friends, Papou and Grandma Hatzis, Grannie Elaine, and Auntie May-May to celebrate their memorable 2nd birthday. Next year I think we'll just go to Chuckie Cheese.

Wondering if anyone would mind if he just put the whole cupcake in his mouth

Always a lady, delicately eating her cupcake

Lizzie gets a birthday kiss from her boyfriend Weston

1 comment:

  1. The pics turned out so great! I think you must have been a photographer in a previous life. I can't wait for next year's party.

    ReplyDelete